What students say about bullying
- 73% Pretend it didn’t bother me.
- 67% Told a friend
- 66% Told the person to stop
- 66% Walked away
- 58% Reminded myself it is not my fault
- 49% Told an adult at home
- 47% Did nothing
- 42% Made a joke about it
- 38% Told the person how it made me feel
- 32% Told an adult at school
- 27% Made plans about how I was going to get them back
- 20% Hit of fought them
[[Schools can’t be very effective if we’re third to bottom in this list.]]Least effective strategies? Trying to handle it yourself
Somewhat more effective? Putting responsibility where it belongs
Most effective? Seeking help from others. What can schools do?
- Seek staff and student input in developing rules, expectations and consequences
- Build a school-wide framework of nurturing, warm relationships
- With student input, develop procedures for staff to follow when witnessing or hearing about specific negative student behaviours
- When possible, use smaller, consistent consequences instead of large consequences
- Support student reporting by making retaliation for ‘telling’ a serious issue.