Why leadership-development programs fail | McKinsey & Company
So how important is leadership development to organisations?
- Annual US spending on leadership development programmes? US$14 Billion
- Number of top executives who see leadership development as a top priority? Two thirds
- But… the percentage of senior managers who think their companies develop leaders well? Only 7%
So what goes wrong? This McKinsey research comes up with three common mistakes with leadership programmes.
1. Ignoring context
2. Decoupling reflection from real work
3. Underestimating mind-sets (mental models)